Friday, April 24, 2009

Les Poissons Sur Le Feu (The Fish on Fire)

So, we rushed home. I needed to prep dinner. Thursday's menu was salmon with a coconut basil sauce, steamed broccoli, bread, and strawberries with chocolate Easter bunny remnants for dessert. Voila! But how to figure out the oven,...Hmmmmm. It's European, that's for sure. The landlord is French, but direction came neither in Flemish or French to us regarding appliances in the home.
So as not to waste time, I prepped dinner and waited for Matt to get home from work. Upon his arrival, I explained that the oven is of course, not like an American oven and that I needed help figuring out what setting to use. There is a dial with very basic pictures and a second dial with temperature in degrees Celsius. No manual (let alone one in English). Nothing obvious. 4 buttons and 2 dials, all unclear to me. Matt tinkered with the settings a bit. He didn't seem to know what he was doing, but continued to lend his assistance."Matt, you can just tell me if you don't know what you're doing. I'll figure out something else for now."
He refused to admit that he didn't know what he was doing, the fish went into the oven and everyone moved on. Homework, lawn mowing, feeding the baby, chores, baths all proceeded.
Matt left to fill the car with gas. It was at this moment I decided to check the oven...

The oven door had locked shut and the entire kitchen felt as if we were back in the blazing sun in Tumon Bay. I realized then, he'd set the oven to the self cleaning mode. Les Poissons Sur Le Feu!

Thursday's menu, adapted- fish, slightly charred, with coconut basil sauce.
One less chore tonight, as the oven is also now clean. Voila!

No comments: