Saturday, July 25, 2009

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau

I was stuck in traffic near Stuttgart.
Awful, pitiful, traffic.
I had to pull over because 2/4 of the passengers in the car
had "to pee wee-lly bad".
Once I reloaded the car, everyone strapped in,
I pulled the GPS out and
started typing in locations.
On a bit of a whim....like say, less than 10 minutes of
internal debate, I decided to steer towards the Bavarian Alps.
Tom Tom said 2 hours....I thought,
"this could be a mistake, but at least I won't be in traffic."
Off we went.
Roughly 2 1/2 hours later, we arrived at the base of
the Bavarian Alps with more to see and do than
I had ever imagined.


The intention was to take the kids to the
"Cinderella castle of Germany", the
Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles.
It is said that this is the castle which Walt Disney used
for the design of the famous Sleeping Beauty castle at Disney World.
I wished I'd had the video camera instead of the SLR camera.
Hauling the little people and their stuff, makes photography a huge challenge.
Here's a video which encompasses most of what we saw.
Built and lived in by King Ludwig of Bavaria,
Neuschwanstein remained unfinished at his death in 1886.
The castle embodies 19th century Romanticism,
set with grand towers and spires over the Pollat River gorge.

The facade of Schloss Neuschwanstein, alone was impressive.
Huge slabs of limestone material
found at Alterschrofen near Swan Lake (Swansee).




Posted by Picasa

No comments: