Monday, March 8, 2010

It Was Time

It was time. His light and fluffy strands of hair were whizzing all over the place. Five minutes after brushing it, it’d be standing up all over his head again. So I asked Venera, a friend and neighbor, who cuts my hair to come and give Arleigh his first haircut. I told her that I wanted to take photos. So we sat Arleigh on his toy car for his haircut, but Arleigh had other plans.
He needed held. He wanted security. He begged to be comforted. Instead of getting fun shots of his first haircut, I was wiping tears with one hand and trying to point and shoot in the other. Needless to say, the results were not good.
I suppose it reflects a quintessential element of motherhood for me.
The endless effrort of trying to balance what the kids want and need in one hand, with what I want and need in the other.
In the end, he got a great haircut and the security he needed.
 He looks a lot less shaggy and she was able to preserve a toddler image.
Still, as I waved goodbye to Venera, put Arleigh down for a nap, and returned to collect those little blonde strands of hair, I couldn't help but to feel a little sad.
He's growing up all too fast.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Surely you have the posts/pictures of Emory, Bo-Bella and Addie's first hair cuts. Just take a look at those, I'm sure they would make you smile rather than cry.