Tuesday, December 21, 2010

In the Meantime

"Mom, when is it time to be mean?"


Mean? What are you talking about? You shouldn’t be mean to anyone at anytime. For crying out loud Emory, It’s Christmastime! A raging tyrant, I continued. Haven’t you been listening? Paying attention to what we’ve told you? Have you not heard a word we've uttered in the last 5 years of your life? Besides, we have rules in this family…first and foremost, people are not for hurting. Where on earth did you get the idea you should be mean? Geez, I’m not raising a mean green fighting machine team here! With my voice escalating, my irritation increasing, my hands waving about, Emory began to slink into his chair with a confused look and wrinkled brow.

Working up a little courage, he lifted himself and softly asked “But you said a little while ago we could have a snack and be mean time didn‘t you?”

Uh. No, I said “in the meantime, you can have a snack”.

I think I'm going to start smoking. Maybe drinking too.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Maybe it would be easier for you to allow for a little mean time amungst the kids. :)

mandy said...

no, smoking and drinking would be easier....trust me.

jamie said...

bwa ha ha ha! Thanks for the laugh