Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Copenhagen, Denmark

Port call in Denmark.... we chose a hop on hop off tour to cover the city, but found ourselves cheering on an ironman race through the town. Then returned to the ship for a 5 course dinner (feeling a little guilty). From the mermaids to the palace guards, we enjoyed it all, and were glad to not have completed an ironman in order to see most of it....
 And they were off!
 The hop on hop off...
 The Little Mermaid, a landmark with a Danish story. The Little Mermaid symbolizes the fairy tale by Danish author and poet Hans Christian Andersen, the story of a young mermaid who fell in love with a prince who lived on land, and often came up to the edge of the water to look for her love.
In 1909, brewer Carl Jacobsen saw solo dancer Ellen Price dance in Fini Henriques' ballet "The Little Mermaid" at the Royal Theatre. He was so taken with her that he asked her if she would pose for a statue. She agreed in principle, but was not very interested in posing without any clothes on, when she found out just how public the statue would be. Instead sculptor Edvard Erichsen's wife stepped in and modeled for the body. On September 14, 1912, the Little Mermaid statue was first placed at a test location, and on August 23, 1913, at its current and permanent site. The statue's birthday is celebrated in various ways every year on August 23. Throughout the year, 75% of all tourists visiting Copenhagen go to see The Little Mermaid.  I suppose the other 25% get lost along the way.....









 We spent a nice time in this area, Nyhavn, where Hans Christian Andersen lived and wrote several of his stories.

Just before we headed back to the ship, we wandered over to the Palace doors to see the guards. This was a special request from Emory and a significant highlight in his day. No doubt he would have sat on the cobblestone yard outside and watched them pace back and forth, keeping watch. they weren't exactly into posing for photos, so having the kids standy by as one guard approached was the only way to have a photo with them....


No comments: