Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Down and Not Out

Whew- I admit, I’ve never been an advocate for the flu shot. Professionally, that might be shameful, but as a mom, no way have I ever wanted to drag 4 kids, kicking and screaming, into the clinic for vaccinations.


Having lived through the flu however, last week, I think I might have changed my mind.

It was “Carnaval Week” here, a week long break from school and time we’d planned to adventure together. Unfortunately though, I ended up down, with the flu, for days…with aches, chills, fevers, nausea, coughing, congestion, headache, fatigue, all took hold. Meanwhile, the 4 angels off of school took hold of something else, the house. When I emerged from my funk, there was chalk drawings on the walls, toilet paper unraveled all over the bath, trash all over the kitchen, a playroom that looked like it was a war zone, and the kids were movie marathon-ing through their days off school.  I was down, and we were not “out” as intended. Perhaps the most sorry break we’ve spent here. Well, we did get out a little, just before I landed in bed. To do this,

And this,



And collect this…

And just because dad didn’t want to sleep in the infected bed, just because mom had promised that we’d sleep downstairs in front of the fireplace, we did do that,…


But next year, we might actually go for a flu shot first, so we can hopefully be “out and not down”.

No comments: