Saturday, March 31, 2012

It's all downhill from here.

This week marks the 8th year Stella has graced us with her presence. The kid lives life to the fullest. If you don’t believe me, just consider what she asked for her birthday, and her explanation to accompany this reuqest…. “I can already ride fast, going down step hills on my bike. I can run and skip fast. I can ski downhill fast. Now I want to learn to roller skate down the hill fast.”

The first time she said this, my expression no doubt, went flat. In fact I regretted even asking her what she’d really like for her birthday. She repeated her birthday wishes about hills, speed, and roller skates several more times over the past weeks. But I’ve come to realize that trying to protect this free spirit for the rest of her life will just make us both miserable. So Stella, right after you write that thank you card to your aunt for your ’cool’ birthday gift. Go ahead. Roll on. (I'll be trying to channel my inner Napoleon Dynamite just watching you.)


P.S.
Thank you Aunt Betsy, for the protective gear included. That makes it a little easier to let her go “wooo-hooo-ing” down the hill.
 

No comments: